Thursday, July 19, 2012

Time Management Rules from a Scofflaw


I am just about two weeks into this blog, and that’s how long it took for the schedule to slip. My goal, my DIRECTIVE, was to post on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Without fail. My first post was on a Friday, but that was just to get started. Then I posted on Tuesday, Thursday, Tuesday…..and now it’s coming up on Friday. And why am I late? Because I ran out of time.

It’s not that I don’t know how to manage my time. I’ve read all the articles and even gone to classes. I know the traditional strategies and rules. Some of them I can follow:
-Plan each day with a to-do list, and prioritize that list.
-Break large tasks into smaller tasks.
-Say no to nonessential tasks.

But there are a few rules that I just can’t seem to make stick:
-Limit distractions. I suspect that means things like checking e-mail every 10 minutes, ditto for Facebook. Also playing with the cat (I work mostly at home).
-Get plenty of sleep, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. You’re kidding, right? Who’s got time for that?
-Evaluate how you’re spending your time by keeping a diary of everything you do for three days. Honestly, I just don’t want to face that one. I think I know the results, and they aren’t pretty.
 
If I can get a grip on those last three items, I’m sure this blog will be filled with uplifting, informative and educational content, posted in a timely manner, going forward. I promise.

Wait, what’s that cat up to now? Hey kitty kitty…..

No comments:

Post a Comment